Sunday, December 10, 2006

What Should I Bring?

From The Desk of Tallahassee Florida Dieter ~ Kathi Dameron

"What should I bring?" is a frequent question, guests often ask during this season of holiday soirees.

For the dieting guest, holiday parties can seem like dangerous territory.

Holiday menus are often the antithesis of heart-healthy eating. In fact, the typical party menus are more akin to a prescription for ushering in Type 2 diabetes.

Oops, my time is running out right now, but when I get home from church, I'm going to share with you a recipe for a Festive Holiday Dip Party Platter that you can bring to your next Christmas party.

Ok, I'm back home! Now, that I'm all prayed up :) here is the recipe for a light holiday appetizer that would be good any time of the year. I've added plenty of red and green garnish to this version, to give it a Christmas season look.

Kathi Dameron's Festive Holiday Dip Party Platter ~ A Heart Healthy Idea

1 carton low fat or fat free cottage cheese
1/2 fresh Florida lemon, squeezed
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1 Teaspoon fresh dill, chopped (or dried)
onion powder, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash to taste to taste

sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted (if necessary)
Fresh spinach, finely shredded
Fresh chives, minced

A colorful cornucopia of garden fresh veggies.

Adjust quantities according to the number of guests.

Mix first 5 ingredient (lines) ingredients together. Put in a decorative bowl. For an intersting bowl, try a hollowed out cabbage... very pretty!)

Artistically garnish the top of the dip with a sprinkling of sun-dried tomatoes, an elegant chiffonade of shedded spinach, and fresh chives.

I would arrange this assortment on a rustic basket, that I would line with big collard green leaves. In the center, I would put my dip-stuffed cabbage. Then around the dip I would arrange a culinary display of exquisite garden fresh vegetables.

No comments: