Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sandler's Recipe For Baked Potato Latkes

From The Desk of Tallahassee, Florida Dieter ~ Kathi Dameron

Sandler Dickson is one of those wonderfully-present souls, who I have bumped into from time-to-time around Tallahassee.

The conversations we have had, always revolved around food. The first time I ever met Sandler was at a local Greek eatery.

Back at the end of October, when I went to Winner's Weight Loss on North Monroe for a diet consultation, I bumped into Sandler again.

"I know you!" I said after visiting with him in the lobby of the diet center "We met at Captain Pete's years ago!"

Sandler has a wonderful, friendly, outgoing and unforgettable personality. If you ever need real estate in Tallahassee, call Sandler and his wife Barbara at REMAX Professionals Realty at 850-545-7095.

The last time I saw Sandler, he shared about their upcoming cruise and the menu that he had sent to the cruise lines. On this menu, was a low-fat heart-healthy recipe for Baked Potato Latkes. I love Potato Latkes! But I didn't think of these sumptuous patties as diet-friendly food.

Sandler shared with me his recipe and I can't wait for an opportunity to bake up a batch soon. I wonder if I can freeze them?

Sandler's Recipe For Baked Potato Latkes
5-6 russet potatoes, peeled
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 bunch of chives, snipped
1 egg plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 tsp. safflower oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush 2 baking sheets with 1 teaspoon Safflower oil each.

Loosely grate potatoes and onion in food processor and place in large mixing bowl.

Season to taste with pepper. Add whole wheat flour and onion and mix well. Mix in eggs and 1 teaspoon Safflower oil.

Spoon out the batter onto baking sheets and flatten slightly, with oven racks in lower and middle positions. Bake until brown on the bottom (about 10 minutes).
Turn and bake another 5 minutes or until brown.

Garnish liberally with chives and serve with non-fat yogurt.

No comments: