Sunday, January 28, 2007

Mixed Greens with Grilled Chicken and Diced Apple

From The Kitchen of Tallahassee, Florida Dieter - Kathi Dameron

This salad is so good. Most days I prepare some variation of it for lunch.

If you can get the organic baby herb salad greens in a bag- do it. The intensely flavored herbs kick up the flavors to an even greater degree of culinary intrigue.

My Recipe for Mixed Greens With Grilled Chicken & Diced Apple

1. Layer a plate or bowl with plenty of mixed greens. I usually use a combination of spring greens, fresh herbs, spinach, red and white cabbage.

2. Nuke a mesquite grilled chicken breast. ( I buy mine at Sam's Wholesale Club and in my microwave they are cooked in 2 minutes and ready to slice and dice.) Srinkle on greens.

3. Wash, slice and dice a red delicious apple. Sprinkle on greens.

4. Stir up a bit of citrus vinaigrette. My diet version is made with 1 teaspoon olive oil or canola oil, a big splash of a favorite gourmet flavored vinegar, fresh minced garlic, a big splash of fresh squeezed Florida grapefruit, orange, lemon, or lime. Sometimes I add a splash of a fruity Winner's Weight Loss supplement like Mixed Berry, and a pinch of salt-free and msg-free seasoning. I always like to dip one of the greens into the dressing to taste the flavor, and then adjust the vinaigrette if necessary. Then I drizzle it all over the greens.

This is a wonderful, feel-good lunch. The best part is you won't even feel like your dieting! This is certainly a salad you could serve to company and not feel the least bit guilty that you are serving your diet cuisine.

Of course, you don't have to use apple. I like to change my fruit from time to time. Strawberries are lovely in this recipe as is grapefruit, orange or just about any seasonal garden fresh produce.

Also, the protein doesn't have to be Grilled Chicken. Iced Shrimp, salmon or tuna would also make a fine salad that will leave your tastebuds humming with joy.

For more ideas, don't miss my upcoming cooking class at Winner's Weight Loss. Space is limited, but there are still seats available. Call Lori at 850-297-2500 or send Kathi an e-mail at askkathidameron@aol.com to make a reservation.

No comments: