Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm Happier When I Eat Pasta

It's true ... I feel happier and more satisfied nutritionally when I keep pasta in my regular diet.

What is up with this?

Almost every weight loss program I've ever been on has labeled pasta a bad food choice when trying to lose weight.

Trying to get a read on this, I went surfing the internet and was pleased to find the following information from the Canadian Diabetes Association.

"Insulin resistance appears to affect a small percentage of Canadians and is most common among overweight individuals. It is related to a form of diabetes called Type II diabetes.

In an insulin-resistant person, the pancreas produces too much insulin after he or she eats sugars or starches. Additionally, cells in insulin-resistant individuals' bodies may not respond to insulin, causing their blood sugar to stay abnormally high after a meal or a snack. - The reality is that being overweight causes insulin-resistance.

A high-carbohydrate diet does not make an insulin-resistant person overweight, nor does it cause insulin-resistance. - Adopting a high-carbohydrate diet actually enhances insulin function for most people by lowering insulin levels. Carbohydrates are converted to glucose in the body and insulin helps cells utilize glucose for energy."

With a history of diabetes in my family and being at an age where one starts to recognize the potential for declining health - I'm very interested in the research provided by diabetes associations.

So maybe there is a nutritional reason that I feel better after eating a well-prepared dish of pasta. Maybe the pasta is performing an important function in my body.

I'm looking forward to researching this more. I'd also love to hear your thoughts! Please feel free to post relevant comments on this blog!

No comments: