Sunday, September 21, 2008

"You are not going to major in philosophy!" My dad declared. "It would be a useless degree in the real world."

I had found a subject matter that rocked my boat, but the minute I shared my desire to be a Philosophy major with my authoritarian father, he shot the idea down.

"It's not going to happen."

There I was trying to figure out my way in a confusing world and one of the few subjects that touched me on the deepest level was unacceptable to the bill payer.

And thirty years later, I still have that fire in my heart for the ancient philosophical discourses that I was first introduced to in an Introductory college Philosophy course.

sale

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I find it interesting that you felt so strongly to write about how you feel about this after 30 years. I went back to school after 15yrs of marriage and 3 kids, and if it were not for my husband's support I probably would not have this opportunity. I came across your blog because I have been looking for someone or a group of people who feel the same way I do. I am a student, an older student in my late 30's, in my junior year of college. I am in my first Philosophy class and I can assure you I understand how you feel completely. I am very surprised how much I love studying philosophy. It's the old cliché '...if I knew then what I know now' With my husbands support I will finish my degree in buiness but I will also be pursuing the study Philosophy. I hope that you do not think it's too late to study Philosophy - I hope that you have found a way to continue.